ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA/ ARTISTS OF THE WORLD - BELGIUM

 ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA/ ARTISTS OF THE WORLD - BELGIUM

My name is Iban Van der Zeyp and I was born in 1969 in Mortsel, near Antwerp, Belgium.  I graduated from art high school in 1991 and soon after I started doing exhibitions.  I still had to do regular work part-time to make a living.  In 1997 I did a successful solo exhibition in Antwerp that changed my life and I was able to start painting full-time.

The following years I had some side projects, but I never abandoned painting.  I was editor of a local magazine for a while, then a real-estate photographer for a few years and I helped my wife with her collectible toy shop.  Meanwhile I kept doing one or two solo exhibitions a year and several group events as well.

When the pandemic struck in 2020, all planned exhibitions were cancelled and in 2021 I thought that I had waited long enough, so I decided to open my own gallery in my hometown.

How your interest in art was born?

I grew up in a creative family.  My mother is a fashion designer, my father a musician and my aunt a visual artist (water colour, drawing, sculpting,...).  My grandfather worked in an office, but he was also very talented in drawing.  In fact, he was the one who inspired me because his approach was very simple and unconventional.

ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA

What factors marked your path?

My grandfather thaught me to think outside the box; even if your subject is very simple, there are ways to make it interesting.  His way was colour and that's why I use to many bright colours.

The second big change came when I was in art high school.  We got an assignment to depict an everyday object in four styles: realistic, expressionistic, abstract and schematic.  I chose a little plant with long curved leaves that was on the mantelpiece in our living room.  My abstract work was the start of my style, curvism.  If it had been any other plant, my style probably would have been very different.

Who are your artistic references?

I admire lots of artists, but my main influences are Pablo Picasso and Marcel Gromaire.  I also get a lot of inspiration from the work of Bernard Buffet.

ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA

Which of your works is your favorite? why?

Not an easy choice, but I would have to say "Autumn", which is an interpretation of a work by Marcel Gromaire.  I admire the work of Gromaire and this piece in particular because it's both a bit chaotic and calming at the same time.  Although my version is very different, it has the same effect on me.

How has the pandemic influenced your creations?

The pandemic caused all my exhibitions to be postponed or even cancelled, so I started making smaller work because it's easier to sell online.  It's also because of the pandemic that I opened my own gallery - my exhibitions were postponed or even cancelled and the first one was scheduled for the end of 2022 and I could not wait that long.

ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA

What sensitizes you?

I get moved by beauty and colour.  I rarely paint depressing things with few colours.  Recently I made a painting called "The funeral" with lots of dark colours, but that's an exception; nevertheless it's not a sad piece because although someone died, the three women in the painting are alive and comforting each other, which is beautiful in a way

Tell us a little about the works we are seeing

"Autumn" (original title: "L'automne"), acrylic on canvas, 95x120cm.  This is an interpretation of a work by Marcel Gromaire.  I love the original and I just had to make my version of it.  It was the first time I used so many earth colours.

"Klimt's jealousy", acrylic on hardboard, 80x120cm.  I combined two paintings by Gustav Klimt and created my interpretation.  On the left is "The kiss" and on the right is "Portrait of Emilie Flöge"; in my version it appears as if Emilie Flöge is jealous of the two lovers kissing.

"The funeral", acrylic on hardboard, 60x80cm.  In this piece I used lots of grey and brown and hardly any bright colours, very different from what I usually do, but death is just a part of life, so it should be part of my work too.

"Tamara on Wednesday", acrylic on canvasboard, 24x30cm.  This is one of the many small portraits I painted and it's an ongoing series.  Every time I have a model come over (at least once a month) I take a series of portrait photos.  Then I select seven and I abstract each one on every day of the week, so I create a series of seven portraits of every model.

ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA

Mi nombre es Iban Van der Zeyp y nací en 1969 en Mortsel, cerca de Amberes, Bélgica. Me gradué de la escuela secundaria de arte en 1991 y poco después comencé a hacer exposiciones. Todavía tenía que seguir  trabajo a tiempo parcial para ganarme la vida. En 1997 hice una exitosa exposición individual en Amberes que cambió mi vida y pude empezar a pintar a tiempo completo.

Los años siguientes tuve algunos proyectos paralelos, pero nunca abandoné la pintura. Fui editor de una revista local durante un tiempo, luego fotógrafo de bienes raíces durante algunos años y ayudé a mi esposa con su tienda de juguetes coleccionables. Mientras tanto, seguí haciendo una o dos exposiciones individuales al año y también varios eventos grupales.

Cuando la pandemia golpeó en 2020, se cancelaron todas las exposiciones planificadas y en 2021 pensé que había esperado lo suficiente, así que decidí abrir mi propia galería en mi ciudad natal.
ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA

¿Cómo nació tu interés por el arte?

Crecí en una familia creativa. Mi madre es diseñadora de moda, mi padre músico y mi tía artista visual (acuarela, dibujo, escultura, ...). Mi abuelo trabajaba en una oficina, pero también tenía mucho talento para el dibujo. De hecho, fue él quien me inspiró porque su enfoque era muy simple y poco convencional.
ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA

¿Qué factores marcaron tu camino?

Mi abuelo me enseñó a pensar fuera de la caja; incluso si su tema es muy simple, hay formas de hacerlo interesante. Su camino era el color y por eso utilizo muchos colores brillantes.

El segundo gran cambio se produjo cuando estaba en la escuela secundaria de arte. Nos asignaron representar un objeto cotidiano en cuatro estilos: realista, expresionista, abstracto y esquemático. Elegí una pequeña planta con hojas largas y curvas que estaba en la repisa de la chimenea de nuestra sala de estar. Mi trabajo abstracto fue el comienzo de mi estilo, el cubismo. Si hubiera sido cualquier otra planta, mi estilo probablemente hubiera sido muy diferente.
ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA

¿Quiénes son tus referentes artísticos?

Admiro a muchos artistas, pero mis principales influencias son Pablo Picasso y Marcel Gromaire. También me inspiro mucho en el trabajo de Bernard Buffet.

¿Cuál de tus obras es tu favorita? ¿Por qué?

No es una elección fácil, pero tendría que decir "Otoño", que es una interpretación de una obra de Marcel Gromaire. Admiro el trabajo de Gromaire y esta pieza en particular porque es un poco caótica y relajante al mismo tiempo. Aunque mi versión es muy diferente, tiene el mismo efecto en mí.

¿Cómo ha influido la pandemia en sus creaciones?

La pandemia hizo que todas mis exposiciones se pospusieran o incluso se cancelaran, así que comencé a hacer trabajos más pequeños porque es más fácil vender en línea. También es por la pandemia que abrí mi propia galería: mis exposiciones se pospusieron o incluso se cancelaron y la primera estaba programada para finales de 2022 y no podía esperar tanto.

¿Qué te sensibiliza?

Me conmueve la belleza y el color. Rara vez pinto cosas deprimentes con pocos colores. Recientemente hice un cuadro llamado "El funeral" con muchos colores oscuros, pero esa es una excepción; Sin embargo, no es una pieza triste porque aunque alguien murió, las tres mujeres del cuadro están vivas y se consuelan entre sí, lo cual es hermoso en cierto modo.
ARTISTAS DEL MUNDO - BÉLGICA
Cuéntanos un poco de las obras que estamos viendo.

"Otoño" (título original: "L'automne"), acrílico sobre lienzo, 95x120cm. Esta es una interpretación de una obra de Marcel Gromaire. Me encanta el original y solo tenía que hacer mi versión. Fue la primera vez que usé tantos colores tierra.

"Los celos de Klimt", acrílico sobre madera prensada, 80x120cm. Combiné dos pinturas de Gustav Klimt y creé mi interpretación. A la izquierda está "El beso" ya la derecha está "Retrato de Emilie Flöge"; en mi versión parece como si Emilie Flöge estuviera celosa de que los dos amantes se besaran.

"El funeral", acrílico sobre madera prensada, 60x80cm. En esta pieza usé mucho gris y marrón y casi ningún color brillante, muy diferente a lo que suelo hacer, pero la muerte es solo una parte de la vida, por lo que debería ser parte de mi trabajo también.

"Tamara el miércoles", acrílico sobre lienzo, 24x30cm. Este es uno de los muchos retratos pequeños que pinté y es una serie en curso. Cada vez que vengo un modelo (al menos una vez al mes) tomo una serie de retratos. Luego selecciono siete y abstraigo cada uno todos los días de la semana, por lo que creo una serie de siete retratos de cada modelo.

Awen Magazine Art

Artículos Relacionados


Nuestras Redes Sociales

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares